New Ash Green & Hartley
Cricket Club
Affiliated to the Association of Kent Cricket Clubs and the Club Cricket Conference
  Saturday 6th and Sunday 7th August  

Saturday 6th August 2011
New Ash Green v Wrotham St. Georges

Kent Regional League Match - 46 overs per side

Wrotham (10 pts) 124 all out (34.1 overs)
New Ash Green (20 pts) 125-7 (34.5 overs)
New Ash Green won by 3 wickets

(Updated version following text messages from Mr. Bushe)

With both sides having an umpire, there was a toss, and for a change Andy Mayers won it. Despite Thursday's rain the wicket was in good condition, but presumably assuming Wrotham would be terrified of batting against Mick Sumner he chose to bowl first. Having been bowled out in seven overs earlier in the season they must have had some demons to conquer, but they seem to have done so, as this time Sumner took only one wicket in 12 economical overs. Instead it was Dan Lewsey who did the damage, striking early, as usual, with the aid of a catch behind rather than in the covers. Wrotham were not such willing victims as in the first game, and Lewsey went for a few runs in his 12 over spell, but he took wickets consistently throughout and ended up with 6-53 by the time he and Sumner had completed their spells. Andy Mayers had a short burst and picked up a wicket, and then Joe Elisak with two wickets and Paul Sumner, wicketless but economical, polished off the innings for 124, not a high score but a huge improvement on the earlier effort.

The tea interval was marked by a rain shower to freshen up the wicket for New Ash Green's batsmen, which may explain why they made hard work of chasing down the target. Missing their captain and leading wicket taker Wrotham tried opening with their spinner, Neil Harvey, and it had the desired effect, getting Mayers stumped for the second time in three days, though probably with less consent on his part than there was at Barrow Gurney. At the other end Will Meredith had been Wrotham's best bowler in the return fixture, and between them the pair put some pressure on the top order with Matt Clark and Glen Freeman falling cheaply. Dean Freeman and Fernando steadied the ship, unusually Fernando playing the anchor role while Freeman picked up the runs, top scoring with 31. They fell in fairly quick succession, leaving New Ash Green with plenty to do at 72-5, but Karl Bartlett and Joe Elisak, bolstered by career best scores on tour, added 41 runs for the 6th wicket to take the hosts to the brink of victory. Elisak went then for 24, and Paul Sumner fell for 6 with two runs needed, but Bartlett with an unbeaten 25 and the ever reliable Matt Bushe with 1 saw the league leaders safely to a three wicket victory.


Current League Table

Sidcup IV v New Ash Green II

Kent Regional League Match - 40 overs per side

New Ash Green (6 pts) 92 all out (39.1 overs)
Sidcup (20 pts) 93-4 (30 overs)
New Ash Green lost by 6 wickets

Sidcup have posted a match report, written by their captain Roger Shaddock, so we will shamelessly plagiarise it in its entirety, giving him due credit:

On a windy and overcast, but not unpleasant day at Waring Park, Ollie Robinson, age 12, made his league debut for Sidcup CC. Mum, Andrea, had insisted we take her mobile number, just in case! Mums do worry!!

Sidcup won the toss, courtesy of having Ben umpiring, and as we were a tad short of batting, I decided to field first!

The two Toms, Selley and Hopkins, bowled well from the start, with very few loose deliveries. Lalit, too, was economical when he came on and he made the first breakthrough, as dangerman and skipper, Mark Chapelhow, skied a pull to Joel behind the stumps.

Yours Truly removed the next man in the following over, but John Harding dug in to repel all attempts to remove him and batted resolutely until he was 4th with the score on 81. With him gone, the Sidcup bowlers ran amok (or is that overdoing it?), although there were two suicidal runs attempted to Tom Selley, who magnificently demonstrated a diving throw and an orthodox pick up and throw, both of which would have sent Coach Wilson into raptures! Tom had also picked up the wicket of John Harding, to round off his excellent day in the field. In fact, everyone had a good day in the field and Ollie did well, looking like he should have been playing league cricket some time ago!

The other 6 wickets went to the miserly spin twins, Smith and Shaddock, bowling in their very different styles. I must comment on an exceptional day behind the stumps for Joel and a really good day for all the bowlers. For the first time I can ever remember, for any team I have played in, there were no byes, wides or no balls!!!

We had a smashing tea, including the doughnuts, and tried to work out a batting order!

I was going to play the anchor role, but Bunny and I were both going to be circumspect for a while to see off the opening bowlers. It didn't work. It rarely does. I was undone after 5 overs by extreme bounce from Ollie Cooper, who was a bit of a handful, as I played on. I reminded John Greenway to take it easy, as we passed. But as I removed the pads, he started smacking it about and continued to bat like that until he was out for a match-winning 34. Well done John!

Bunny batted well, supporting John, and when he was also out, it was left to Dot Ball and Ollie to see us home. Dot Ball patted and Ollie slapped it, playing some gorgeous shots all round the wicket and finishing it off by hitting the opening bowler back over his head!

So, our 4th win! A nice game of cricket, played in the right spirit, against a good bunch of chaps. Well done to all.

The only note to add is that Ashley Woodward's bowling figures (2-4 in five overs) make pleasant reading from a New Ash Green perspective. We may have him fully fit and functioning before the end of the season!


Current League Table

Sunday 7th August 2011
New Ash Green v Wilmington

Friendly Match - Proper Cricket

Wilmington 204-7 dec. (41 overs)
New Ash Green 176-7 (34 overs)
Match Drawn

Having put a lot of work into getting a side together John Harley won the toss and elected to bowl first. Initially New Ash Green were on top courtesy of a good catch running back by Kieran Poole off the skipper's bowling and another wicket for Harley plus one for Poole himself, removing three of the top four for just 2 runs between them. Wilmington fought back, though, with Reese Thwaites making 58 and Chris Nicholson 85 not out. Eventually it was Fernando who made the breakthrough, and took 3 wickets, before there was a final wicket for Olly Cooper, and a short bowl for each of Toby Bartram on his NAG debut, and Joe Chapelhow. The declaration came when 200 came up after 41 overs.

In response New Ash Green also lost wickets early, with a duck for Matt Bushe and 4 for Karl Bartlett, but Fernando made 63 out of the first 83 and Chris Bartram with 32 and Mark Chapelhow with 38 not out provided further runs down the order. However with Wilmington managing to get through only 34 overs, either through declaring too late or taking too long over their overs time ran out with the game still very much in the balance, with New Ash Green 29 runs short of victory with three wickets in hand.